GreenChar Summer Fellowship
About the Fellowship
GreenChar Summer Fellowship is an annual competitive program that takes place from mid June to mid July in Kenya that provides social change minded university students with on the ground experience working in social innovation at GreenChar in Nairobi, Kenya. Participants will partner with local staff and local college interns to do business development, sales and market, outreach and community engagement and hands-on work with Eco-Kiosks entrepreneurs in urban slums.
Past participants have worked with schools adopt LongBurn, run Eco-Kiosks training and evaluation, forming meaningful relationships and life-long experiences in Kenya.On weekends, participants volunteer with other local organisations, explore Nairobi and its environs.The program is self-funded and requires a $700 fundraising commitment to GreenChar.
You are a match for the Summer Fellowship if:
- You are an undergraduate student or recent graduate
- You are looking for a challenging, meaningful experience with real responsibility
- You are passionate about GreenChar’s mission and work, with a commitment to increase access to affordable clean energy
- You are interested in interacting with and learning from people your age from other cultures
- You are comfortable working across cultures and in an environment that lacks many “Western” comforts
- You work well in structured group settings
- You are interested in getting a sense of what it is like to work at a small social enterprise
- June 16 – Arrival at NBO! Shuttle to Nairobi guest house
- June 17 – 21 – Orientation to GreenChar/Nairobi/Kenya. Choosing Work Track and scheduling for next weeks.
- June 23 – July 25 – Working on specific track with GreenChar ie. business development or community outreach
- July 5 – Day trip to Hell’s Gate, Naivasha
- July 23 – Final ceremony and celebration at GreenChar HQ. Shuttle from Nairobi Guest House to NBO
Approximate Program Costs
- $1,000-$1,600 – Round Trip Airfare
- $50 – tourist visa for Kenya
- $1,500 – room and board in Nairobi for the duration of your stay. This includes a dorm-style bedroom, shared bath, wireless Internet, transport to/from work, daily breakfast, lunch and dinner most nights
- $75 – $200 – Travel Insurance. We require proof of traveler’s insurance, including evacuation insurance
- Personal costs at your discretion